Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween festivities

I'm not a big Halloweener to begin with, but this year was particularly uneventful.  Saturday was meant to be our big Halloween party, however it ended up being canceled at the last minute due to a conflict with the room in which it had been scheduled.  It's just as well, because I had great plans for a costume that didn't turn out.  Despite my lack of enthusiasm for dressing up in costumes and trick-or-treaters, the part of Halloween that I look forward to the most is carving pumpkins.  However we didn't even do that this year.  Somehow the holiday just passed us by!!  Michael did carve a pumpkin to turn in for a final project in one of his classes last week.  However I kept meaning to go to a pumpkin patch and pick up some pumpkins so we could carve some together, but I never did because the weather was frequently wet and/or cold.  We'll have to redeem ourselves next year.  Not to mention, next year should be fun with a little one to dress up!

I have to say that this year's highlight was my friend, Audra's son.  I bought him a dragon costume for his birthday a couple weeks ago in anticipation for Halloween.  At first he was reluctant to wear the costume but with some practice and encouragement from his parents over the last few weeks, he became quite attached.  Not to mention, he developed quite the "Raaaaawr".

Well, here are our pictures for the week.  There aren't many, and they were all taken with Michael's I-phone so the quality isn't great, but enjoy.

We did attend a party at the church.  This is the sister senior missionary! She did a great job on her costume.  After rummaging around in our closets, we decided to dress up as 80's aerobics instructors.
Michael's pumpkin symbolic of his Career that he turned in for a final project.  The idea being that he is trying to make the transition from mountain biking to potentially working in a skyscraper building of sorts and finding that balance


This is Andrew in his dragon costume.  The little hands and feet killed me!

The costume even had little wings...

and a tail!! I loved that the tail waddled back and forth as he walked (he just turned 1 year old) 
This is the blizzard that hit New Haven on Saturday



It was fun to see the snow, but I didn't expect it this early!  The leaves haven't even really changed in New Haven yet!!  Maybe they still will??? Or maybe they will just fall, who knows.

Well, I hope you all had a happy Halloween! And hopefully it was more eventful than ours!!

2 comments:

  1. What a cute costume. I love little kids' costumes. How much did the storm affect you guys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chastina-I guess more people lost power with this snow storm than with Hurricane Irene a few months back! Because the leaves haven't really fallen off of the trees, a lot of branches became so heavy with the snow that they were breaking and causing lots of damage to cars, homes, and obviously power lines. We didn't lose power at our place, and it seemed like a regular snow storm to me...the kind of thing we wouldn't fret about in Utah. It will be interesting to see how the winter goes!

    ReplyDelete