Sunday, August 28, 2011

Busy week in New Haven: Earthquake and Hurricane

It's been a busy week here in New Haven: a 5.9 earthquake and a hurricane.  It was the first earthquake to hit the East coast since the late 40's.  All in all, the earthquake didn't really affect New Haven too much.

As for the Hurricane, last I read, there have been 10 deaths in the US as a result.  Thousands of Connecticut residents are currently without power and many along the coast have experienced severe flooding.  As for us, we never lost power but we had some flooding in our living room.  Fortunately we were able to mop most of it up.  We have had a fan running all day trying to dry out the carpet.  Gratefully, we noticed the water coming in early this morning and were able to move our belongings, so none of our stuff was ruined.

Anyways, enough babbling...time for some photos!

I rode my bicycle up to the top of East Rock look out on Saturday around 10am to get a view of the ocean.  The air was very dense and humid.

Overlooking New Haven Saturday morning in anticipation for Hurricane Irene.

A view of the ocean in anticipation for Hurricane Irene.

A view of the ocean in anticipation for Hurricane Irene.

Gotta love the timed exposure.  Look how gross and thick the air is behind me.

Sunday morning we took a stroll down our street to check out the damage.  A few major trees had split and fallen over this fence.


The weight of this broken branch bent the fence

Earthquakes, hurricanes/tropical storms...New Haven has brought lots of excitement to our lives.  I found this bumper sticker while we were out walking around in the wind and the rain of the tropical storm.

More fallen trees on our street

Our house experienced a little water coming under the door from the hallway.  As a result, the "tiled" area was really wet, and the carpet by the door had gotten really wet.  Hence the fan.

Here I am trying to mop up the water from the tile

Unfortunately, I can't get any videos to load at this time.  I will keep trying to figure it out....however, my computer just keeps freezing.

Ultimately, the storm was downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hit Connecticut.  I will say that the storm was bad enough, that church was canceled.  The LDS church never cancels it's services.  I've only experienced that one other time when I was growing up and it's because there was a crazy blizzard so no one was allowed to leave their houses.  I did miss going to church today.  I'm grateful for what the LDS church adds to my life.  Because of the things I have learned in church about being prepared in emergency situations, I was able to feel peace and comfort in anticipation for the storm.  What a wonderful blessing.


1 comment:

  1. So glad the hurricane didn't affect you guys too badly. A lot of our friends and family here were praying for you, as you probably know. In fact, having the hurricane weaken instead of strengthen was an exact answer to my prayers. Very grateful you are all ok!

    ReplyDelete