Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Utah Adventures part II

We took a wonderful mountain biking trip to Colorado where we spent 3 spectacular days riding at Winter Park bike resort. (If you've been there, you know what I'm talking about). 

Dominic hung out at the bottom of the lift and threw lots and lots of rocks into the pond

He also enjoyed some time at the playground, but he mostly liked throwing rocks.

Here is just a small sample of some of the awesomeness: (Michael is wearing the helmet camera following me)


Disclaimer: due to the extremely wide, wide-angle camera, jumps may appear smaller then reality


Upon returning from Colorado, Michael and I took our friend (Todd) Mountain biking up in Park City at the Canyon's resort.  Unfortunately, on the last run of the day, I had a bit of an accident and broke my left collarbone.  I went off a sick jump, landed it, then crashed on a turn immediately following the jump.  So, I think I will be spending the rest of the summer with Dominic at the pool.  Sadly, this means we don't get to take our biking trip to British Columbia, Canada that we had planned. :(



For those of you who enjoy this kind of thing:
Broken left collarbone (while looking at this picture it's the one on the right).  Not to be confused with the right collarbone that was broken at a different time in my life.
No surgery or anything.  Doctors just say that it needs time to heal.  Rx: at least 3 weeks in a sling and then reevaluate.

We did get to go camping at Flaming Gorge with my mom and dad and brother's family.  Michael had a great time water skiing and he and Dominic enjoyed riding behind the boat on a tube.  I just enjoyed the beach and cheered them on.

 Grandpa and Grandma took us fishing:
Dominic's fish face

Tuckered out

Dominic and Michael tubing with my brother, Chad and his daughter Mylie (who is only a few weeks younger then Dominic)

Mylie loved it. Dominic was so exhausted from all the playing, it put him right to sleep.  hmm.  How can I make this a part of his nightly routine? Easiest nap time ever.

Ok, so even though only 1 week had passed since my wreck, I hopped on a bike momentarily so Michael and I could enjoy a ride at sunset. (and we happened upon this amazing bear)
We returned from our camping trip on the afternoon of July 4th just in time to hear Michael's mom presenting at a local colonial days celebration.  She did a wonderful job! Sadly, with a broken collarbone, I don't find myself toting around a camera very often these days. 

Later that night we celebrated by eating some sushi and watching the Stadium of Fire (a huge production in Utah in which a spectacular array of fireworks are shot off at a nearby University.  We played with sparklers while waiting for the show to start.

Dominic was mesmerized with his first sparkler

and continued to be mesmerized for all the rest of the sparklers

mimicking the explosions

We also got to celebrate Michael's grandmother's 80th birthday a few days ago.  She looked lovely and the party turned out very nice.  I was glad we were able to attend.  Michael's little sister and brother were able to come in from California, and it has been great to spend time with them.

Following the birthday party, we stopped in at the new-ish City Creek Shopping Center in Salt Lake to see if it's was really deserving of all the hype.  We had a good time shopping around.  Dominic rocking this fedora was definitely one of the highlights.  He used to like hats when he was younger (6 months-ish) but I haven't been able to get him to wear a hat for months...until this fedora.  He was quite pleased with it and kept laughing and smiling when he's catch a glimpse of himself wearing it in the mirrors.  I was really amused at his delight in the fedora.

Shopping with his Uncle Chris, rocking a fedora. 
Well, that brings us to today.  We are excited for some fun upcoming trips so I will keep you posted!


Hugs,
The Escalantes

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I hope your collar bone heals quickly so you can get back to having what looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete