Monday, August 13, 2012

Europe III: Switzerland

Switzerland highlights for me included paragliding in the Swiss Alps, hiking in the Swiss Alps, and indulging in lots of fresh made delicious yogurt from the Swiss Alps!

Sunday May 20 - Day 7
As you may recall from the end of my last post, we made an epic run to catch our train from Paris to Interlaken, Switzerland (due to a subway closure we had to run a couple of miles with our packs and Dominic).  We were so relieved to make it in time.

On the train to Interlaken

The town was beautiful
(Balmer's, on the left, was the hostel where we stayed the first night)

Our cute little room

Relaxing after checking into our hostel.
We didn't relax long because we were excited to get out and see the town.






We walked around town, saw a parade, did some laundry, and skyped with my mom in the evening.


Monday May 21 - Day 8

Michael paragliding in Interlaken years ago when he and a friend backpacked through Europe right after high school.  Ever since I've known him, he's talked about how beautiful and fun it was and I have always wanted the opportunity!  So, first thing in the morning I signed up for paragliding.  A short time later I was introduced to my fearless pilot, Robert as we embarked on the bus ride up the mountain. 

This was my paragliding buddy, Robert.  He was native to the area, but spoke great English.  Fun note: the other  paragliding instructor riding with us (paired with another girl) was also native to the Interlaken area, and his name was Dominic. :)


Pre-flight check in

Enjoying the ride

The views were A-MAZ-ING

and the weather couldn't have been more perfect

Paragliding-The whole flight lasted about 17 minutes

Landing
Just after we touched down

My welcoming crew


The view in the field where I landed (Jungfrau Mountain in the distance sitting at 13, 642 ft)

Paragliding was A-MAZ-ING.  I was all smiles for the rest of the day.  I've decided that it would be so cool to become a certified paraglider.  I would love to learn how someday and get my own gear.  I think it would be such a great family hobby.  Maybe after Michael graduates, I'll save up the money for the instruction and gear...we'll see!


In the afternoon, we took a bus over to Lake Thun-one of the the two lakes in the city (Interlaken meaning: between 2 lakes).  Lake Thun is the warmer of the 2 lakes, and where Robert was from (my paragliding buddy)

Lake Thun

Family photo

After visiting Lake Thun, we took a bus back into town and walked the other direction towards Lake Brienz.


The river connecting the two lakes

The city was so beautiful

Cool spire-thing

We stopped by our hostel for dinner and a quick treat before continuing our walk to Lake Brienz.

We became addicted to dark chocolate Toblerone while in Switzerland (including Dominic)-j/k

Walking along the river that connects the two lakes

The beautiful turquoise color is a result of the mineral content of the water

It started to get cold and it was getting late enough in the day, that we decided to go to Lake Brienz another day.  We headed back into town and looked through all the watch and souvenir shops before retiring for the evening.  The shops and restaurants all closed by 9pm.  This was a major contrast having just come from Paris, in a city that truly never sleeps.  


Tuesday May 22 - Day 9

We have seen so many beautiful places in the last 8 days.  Today was no different.  We took a beautiful train ride to the small town of Lauterbrunnen in the morning for a full day of hiking in the Swiss Alps.  We planned to hike through a valley containing over 70 waterfalls within a very short distance.

Lauterbrunnen means: many springs or fountains

The dark cliff walls were a beautiful contrast to the green hills

(the Staubbach Falls in the background is the best known waterfall in the valley)


I loved the architecture in switzerland

The Staubbach waterfall is about 900 ft tall making it one of the tallest waterfalls in Europe

The cows actually had big ol' bells hung around their necks.




The majestic peaks in the distance

Lunch break


Cows are mean.  Believe me, I've was once chased by a whole herd of them

Dominic was feeling a little restless in the pack, so I carried him for a while

There were half a dozen base jumpers raining down from the cliffs above.  We also saw a few paragliders-reaffirming my desire to pursue the hobby.

Just lovely

After hiking for a few hours, we took a tram ride further up the mountain




I felt like we were on top of the world, but there were still peaks soaring above us


Stopped to enjoy a picnic of delicious yogurt and cheese.  I don't think a person can be lactose intolerant and survive in Switzerland.


The Hostel where Michael and his friend Bryce stayed over 10 years ago


It felt great to be in the mountains again.  Made me feel at home.



There were the coolest water fountains along the way










We originally planned to take the tram back down the mountain, but we ended up hiking down.  Needless to say, we were both pretty tired after a full day of hiking in the mountains.  I think we gained about 3,000 feet of elevation.

Wednesday May 23 - Day 10
Our last day in Interlaken.  :(  We walked through the town and looked for souvenirs on our way to the train station.  Dominic stopped to ride this bull for a quick 8 seconds.  He managed to hold on for the full 8 seconds without any problems.




We headed to the train station.  Next stop: Venice Italy. (Which was one of my favorite stops on this trip!)

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing!! so glad you found time to get this posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And my jealousy continues. What a phenomenal trip. I love every detail.

    ReplyDelete